Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Informative Arrangements 2: Electric Boogaloo

So…apparently people enjoyed last week’s post. Well, I’m glad you liked it. In case you missed it, here’s a link:


Also, I’ve finally accepted that more than 3 people read this blog. So that was nice. (Hello 4 readers!)

Addison Horner, content creator for the AEA, went ahead and put the songs on Spotify. Here’s a link: 


I'd have done that...but I don't have a Spotify account. Plus, I'm lazy. Plus, meh.

It’s time for round 2!

Q: My group wants to do this pop song that EVERYONE and their mom is singing right now. I want to turn it into something totally new like it’s almost unrecognizable. What can I do?

A: Listen to:

“Can’t Buy Me Love” by The King’s Singers
“I Want You Back” by SONOS
“Billie Jean” by Fermata Town
“Killing Me Softly” by Singers Unlimited
“Swingle Ladies” by The Swingles
“I Knew You Were Trouble” by Blackout
“Hildepunk” by MIX

Q: I want to write something that sounds exactly like a jazz big band. Where can I find textbook examples of that?

A: Listen to:

“I’m With You” by The Real Group
“Straighten Up and Fly Right” by Acoustix
“Softly As in a Morning Sunrise” by Quintet
“Have You Met Miss Jones” by The Swingle Singers

Q: Where can I find really good examples of what a “mash-up” is supposed to sound like?

A: Listen to:

“Never Close Our Eyes/As Long As You Love Me/Sweet Nothing” by OneVoice
"Another Way To Die/Skyfall" by The Amalgamates
“How Far I’ll Go The Distance” by Scott and Ryceejo
"Gravity/Run To You" by Jonathan Reid
"Single/Acappella" by Eleventh Hour

Q: My arrangement is missing a really cool chord. Like “Whoa! What was that?!” kind of chord. Where I can I find one of those?

A: Listen to: (You'll know it when you hear it)

 “And So It Goes” by Groove For Thought
“Water Night” by Eric Whitacre
“224” by Cluster
“My Future Self” by Postyr Project
“God Bless The Child” by SoCal VoCals
“Hide and Seek” by Imogen Heap
“I Got Rhythm” by Glad
“Locked Out of Heaven” by Vocalosity

Q: We have a really good bass and he/she gets bored really easily. Where can I find examples of more interesting, and difficult bass lines for him/her to sing?

A: Listen to:

“Sing a Song” by On The Rocks
“Feel So Bad” by Voices In Your Head
“Dance With Me” (or really anything) by Rockapella
“Agua de Beber” by Sambaranda
“Wrecking Ball/We Can’t Stop” by Delilah

Q: I’m a live looper and I need some inspiration. What can I listen to so I can get an idea of how to arrange for a loop station?

A: Listen to:

“Cupcakes Can Kill You” by Mister Tim
“Whiskey” by Julia Easterlin
“I Shall Be Free” by Kid Beyond
“Ave Maria” by SONOS
“Unison” by Bjork
“Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin (even though he doesn’t use a loop station, the arrangement is very repetitive)


Do you have an arrangement question? Send me a tweet @docacappella and I'll include it in Informative Arrangements 3!

Marc Silverberg

Follow The Quest:

No comments:

Post a Comment